Tuesday, December 9, 2008

We have arrived in France!

Well, we made it! We are finally here in France and it is looking like it will be a great
assignment. This move has been one of the most hectic in our military career. I think the
fact that we had two toddlers had something to do with it. Lukas now has a fascination
with airplanes and thinks that everyday we are going to ride one. The flights weren't
bad, but with two little ones they weren't the most relaxing either. Though the
international flight went much better than expected. The boys slept most of the way,
though I didn't because I had to keep making sure they didn't roll off the seat! ;)

The first day in Paris had to be the hardest day for our family. We all were exhausted, jet
lagged and hungry. Trying to appease children at a restaurant is hard
enough. Try it when they are tired, cranky and we don't speak the language. I have to
admit, I was almost in tears. It was a nightmare. However, that was the worst.

Once we all got some rest and we had our children back from the sleep deprived children that traveled with us to France, everything was much better. We didn't get to do much in Paris, however we did walk around and see a little bit of the city. Most of our time there was catching up on sleep and Scott getting some business done at the embassy.

On Wednesday, we finally got on a plane to Bordeaux where one of Scott's co-workers met us at the airport. He drove us 40 minutes to our temporary home in La Teste de Buch. It was so cool, when we arrived at the house another one of Scott's co-workers was here to greet us. He had stocked the fridge with food and even bought flowers and chocolate. It was such a warm welcome.

The next few days we were left to ourselves, by our request, to get unpacked and
accustomed to the house. The house that we are in is awesome. I feel like I am living in an Ikea furniture demo-model. It is really cool. Also, on all the windows are these really cool black out shades that allow us and the boys to sleep in late. The other day we woke up and it was
already 10am. I don't remember sleeping that late since before I had kids. We actually
had to go and wake up the boys! I love it!

The town that we are in is nice. Though I am not sure if this is where we will end up
staying. The other day we drove around to a few of the surrounding towns and found a
couple that we like better. We will see what rentals are available.

We have also hired an au pair to live with us for the first few months to help us get accustomed to the French lifestyle. Camille has been very helpful watching the children and encouraging us to speak French at home. I don’t think we would speak as much as we do if she were not here.

We are also looking into the school system for the boys. We have been told that children in France can start school as early as age 3. Before they go to school though, most children attend Le Creche a few days a week starting from 2 ½ months to 3 years of age. We think we might get the boys enrolled starting in the new year.

Each day we are learning more about the French culture and the French language. We really think we are going enjoy our time in France. How can you not when you can walk down the street and buy wine from the tap and a fresh warm baguette?

No comments: